National Committee for Lighting in Bulgaria (NCBG) – over 50 years with CIE *
The year of 2018 marks the 50th anniversary since the beginning of the official membership of the National Committee for Lighting in Bulgaria (NCBG) in the International Commission on Illumination (CIE). Throughout these years, NCBG has been going through many transitions, but preserved its merits and continued to be the non-profit organization responsible and driving the progress of lighting technology and lighting equipment standards, as well as implementing world-leading technologies and practices in Bulgaria. Today, over 50 years later, NCBG continues to be a proud member of CIE.
NCBG is the successor to the National Commission for Lighting, established as a part of the State Committee on Science and Technical Progress of Bulgaria on September 12th, 1964. In 1967, at its Congress in Washington, CIE officially accepted NCBG as a member with a National Committee (NC) status. On 01.01.1968, NCBG as a state-owned organization, has been transferred to the Scientific and Technical Union of Electrical Engineering and Communications in Bulgaria and in the following decades NCBG continued to exist as an independent organization representing Bulgaria within CIE. NCBG members are regular participants in international conferences and events organized by CIE, and CIE leaders attended multiple conferences in Bulgaria organized by NCBG.
In 1989 Bulgaria underwent serious political changes, and the following transition period was marked by a severe economic crisis. This required the amendment NCBG’s status of a state-owned organization. Following a constituent meeting on November 3rd, 2004, NCBG was transformed from state committee to a non-profit organization and was formally registered in the NPA’s Register in Bulgaria. Thus, NCBG was reorganised to a union of individuals, legal entities, research organisations and universities working in the field of lighting and light technology.
Nowadays, NCBG continues to work on the main goals and tasks laid down in the Statute of the organisation:
- To develop prospects for growth and progress of the lighting technology and the implementation of “intelligent” tunnel, street, industrial and building lighting in Bulgaria
- To coordinate research in the field of manufacturing and operation of light sources, lighting equipment and their management systems
- To monitor and support the quick implementation of world scientific achievements and developments in the lighting technology in Bulgaria
- To organize international cooperation and provide information on the world scientific achievements in the field of lighting technology to the scientists and business in Bulgaria
NCBG brings together companies, individuals, research organizations and universities to achieve common economic interests that increase competitiveness, business development, administrative capacity and people’s research potential.
* The International Commission on Illumination – also known as CIE from its French title (the Commission Internationale de l´Eclairage) is devoted to worldwide cooperation and the exchange of information on all matters relating to the science and art of light and lighting, colour and vision, photobiology and image technology.
With strong technical, scientific and cultural foundations, the CIE is an independent, non-profit organization that serves member countries on a voluntary basis.
Since its inception in 1913, the CIE has become a professional organization and has been accepted as representing the best authority on the subject and as such is recognized by ISO as an international standardization body.